Teeth are our business card. Therefore, we must pay great importance and care for them gently and carefully. Daily oral hygiene is very important in keeping your teeth white and healthy. Yellow or decayed teeth are not exactly our ideal, which is why we must fight with all possible weapons to prevent or combat these problems, depending on the case. Are you with me?
The Meaning of White Teeth
Tooth crown (what we see outside gum) is made of enamel on the surface, dentin located just under enamel and pulp located in dentin. Enamel is made of hard crystal and has a white or blue transparent colour. Dentin is softer, it contains more calcium and has a matter colour. The pulp in the middle of the tooth contains nerves that conduct sensations of hot, cold and pain. The pulp also contains blood vessels.
So dentin gives the tooth its color. To change the color of the tooth, the color of the dentin must be changed. Teeth are typically gray-white or yellow, not pure white. Stains and discoloration can be caused by certain diseases, overexposure to fluoride, or exposure to the antibiotic tetracycline while the teeth are developing. Teeth also can darken with age. This type of discoloration can often be improved with dental whitening.
What Causes Teeth Staining, Yellow Teeth, and Tooth Discoloration?
The main causes are:
- Lack of rigorous oral hygiene; it is advisable to wash your teeth after every meal, or at least in the morning and at night before bed;
- Smoking severely affects teeth, irreversible;
- Inadequate nutrition, low in calcium, which will deteriorate over time the dentin due to lack of healthy nutrients in the body;
- Food dyes, especially the chemical ones, but also the natural ones – blueberries, blackberries, bilberries, curry, soy sauce, red wine, coffee, tea, cola, dark beer (especially acidic drinks) etc..
- Some medications that affect enamel’s health, like tetracycline, as well as other diseases of the enamel.
- Dental Pathology: cavities, devitalized teeth which can have different colours, from yellowish to gray, etc..
Buh-Bye Yellow Teeth
Flawless, white teeth always look good and can win the heart and trust of some. Coffee, fizzy drinks, red wine, cigarettes, sweets, are factors that lead to yellowing and damage the teeth, and they must be replaced with a diet rich in fruits and vegetables that prevent and help get rid of yellowing, help keep teeth white and bright and maintain a fresh breath all day. These include strawberries, celery, parsley, sage, carrots, apples, cucumbers, cauliflower, dairy products etc.. As simple as that.
But, if your teeth are already yellow, I suggest you try whitening your teeth using household items or you can pay a visit to your family dentist. These professionals have many options available.
Hopefully these tips will keep your mouth healthy and your teeth white.